Monday, October 25, 2021

The Plagiarists



These words are not mine.
This language is a foreign tongue.
The day that I was born 
it wrapped me
in its soft netting
and spoke my name.

So, who orders 
these words?
Who receives them
against their
strange lexical body,
unraveling meanings,
translated almost
without thought?

Heirs to these codices 
from parents, relations,
books, television, movies, friends,
teachers, siblings,
crowds,
what determines the filter
through which words slip, 
or retain?

Through what agency
does it persist and change,
this bequest,
this legacy of tongues,
this borderless proliferating sea
of sound and perceived 
intent?

Nothing is outside language,
the territory
of humankind in common.
Breaking no laws,
we steal every day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thoughts on Bots, Poetry, and Coming Back Again

I checked my blog's numbers after my last post. My readership seemed to be exploding, but considering the volume was all from Singapore,...