Thursday, September 30, 2021

East of Upstate Eden

I was raised by woods,
swaddled in ferns,
bristly oxtongue sandals,
clothed in pine needles
and black earth.

In the winter I became trapped,
sometimes digging through the snow for hours.
Tears freezing in my lashes, I would think
of a warm house with a fireplace.

Now I live in cities and towns
where the acrid air infests my lungs
and there is never not noise.
Distant neighbors are the wildlife.

But when I visit, the woods reject me.
They send mosquitos and gnats,
images of snakes and bears,
to drive me away.

So now I am in between worlds,
homeless limbo
dreaming of that golden green
but lost in grey cement,
and brown and red rust.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thoughts on Bots, Poetry, and Coming Back Again

I checked my blog's numbers after my last post. My readership seemed to be exploding, but considering the volume was all from Singapore,...