Tuesday, September 7, 2021

Orchard

Untended boughs that bear fermented fruit
make sweeter shade where I may bide and drowse,
awaiting fell intoxicating loot
to gather up before the swarms can browse.

The feast replenishes a lost reserve,
a well inebriation unalloyed,
that filled us and surrounded us at birth,
and in our death will occupy the void.

In our youth with drunken lightness bounding
we staved off adulthood’s dull forgetting.
Panic says to heed this warning sounding,
“Find a laden tree and set to netting!”

or stroll with me down through the orchard gate,
and drink the atmosphere here while we wait.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thoughts on Bots, Poetry, and Coming Back Again

I checked my blog's numbers after my last post. My readership seemed to be exploding, but considering the volume was all from Singapore,...