Thursday, October 14, 2021

Invocation


Oh Dionysus!
I have always fought sleep, 
for consciousness does not discriminate
between sleep and death
but now unconsciousness is all
I have the strength to call for.

This careworn mind is fraying.
Unraveling also my desire
to ride the crests,
the restless, heaving tides 
of multitudinous meanings
and polyphonies 
the seas of language provides.

Guide me instead to the coolness
of your twilight vineyards,
beneath the penumbral leaves
and sugar-sweet and swollen droops
to compose and drowse at my will.
In the absence of sleep,
the waking dream will sustain me.

For many nights, after sipping your dark fruits
failed to send me to the inebriate’s rest,
I threw my restless body out into
the ocean of night and sacrificed caution
swimming with any strangers I could find.

Now, old and isolate, a dram still comforts,
and may loosen my tongue,
but these seeds find no fertile purchase,
and many ears remain ringing or deaf,
and the comfort of strangeness is gone,
while the familiar often stifles.

Guard your souls against the same.
Dionysus! Once again, I invoke your name.
Awaken in me!
Awaken!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thoughts on Bots, Poetry, and Coming Back Again

I checked my blog's numbers after my last post. My readership seemed to be exploding, but considering the volume was all from Singapore,...