Sunday, October 31, 2021

Marathon


Trees in the full flame of fall
Cast shadows in blue on the ground 
where the first frost slowly melted back to dew 
faster on the grass in the golden morning sunlight.

We wished each other well at the starting line
and took our places in the pack.

The crack of the starting pistol sent us
running on open roads, and leaf strewn trails
away from, beneath, and along the highway,
just over twenty-six miles across the finish line
to celebratory high fives and back pats,

water that was never so cold and refreshing,
and fruit that tasted like candy.
Arms on shoulders, we posed for victory photos.

Muscles aching, bone shaking weariness,
while we drove to my friends’ home.
They won at straws for showers, 
so when the spectators went to basement couches 
to watch football on television, 

I alone went outside to the front lawn, 
to lie down in soft green grass,
basked in the warm afternoon sun,
and felt such sublime contentment,
a sleep of bliss overcame me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thoughts on Bots, Poetry, and Coming Back Again

I checked my blog's numbers after my last post. My readership seemed to be exploding, but considering the volume was all from Singapore,...