Wednesday, November 24, 2021

After School

He steps through the door after school
dark unruly hair tousled further by wind 
face expectant, dark eyes worried, 
mouth deciding whether or not it’s right to smile

A litany of undone chores crosses my mind
I’m about to ask about his day
and how much homework
ready to rattle off reminders

But I stop and watch him step 
lean and long-legged through the door
lugging the backpack weighted by books
the violin in its ebony case bouncing
black pants black coat black hoodie

His face so much like that of his mother
whose death still haunts us two years past

How can one dwell on the disrespect
of even the day before
in the face of his fascinating 
many-faceted mind sometimes so unfamiliar

How can I feel anything but wonder
and gratitude that he is in my life

I miss his childhood 
and find myself thinking
I should have fought harder to keep him close
endured the misery and acrimony and risked 
dismantling lies with hard-won truth

He stands in front of me
all but flinching and 
says hey

and I say 
I love you
I’m proud of you
I’m sorry.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thoughts on Bots, Poetry, and Coming Back Again

I checked my blog's numbers after my last post. My readership seemed to be exploding, but considering the volume was all from Singapore,...