Wednesday, November 3, 2021

Of Hawk And Home


In the bright rising morning light 
I watched a hawk launch
from a tall tree with strong, reliable limbs
though its golden leaves were going brown. 

Keen-eyed, brazen, the predator flew
away, then arced, I was certain,
to return to its lofty bower, 
but it beat its wings and kept on into the blue
until it left my frame of vision. 

I apprehended then
the human fixation 
with watching these birds in flight. 
Fierce and graceful, 
independent and free, 
with such space to fly, 

where the air alone is enough 
to hold you safe and high;
where the wide sturdy arms of home 
are always waiting 
upon your choice 
whether to return.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thoughts on Bots, Poetry, and Coming Back Again

I checked my blog's numbers after my last post. My readership seemed to be exploding, but considering the volume was all from Singapore,...