Friday, December 3, 2021

Cuts

I am not an emperor, nor a pharaoh,
but I was born caesarian, the same
as Caesarion that day in June.
My mother said as much and showed me
the vertical scar on her belly.

So many mothers died or were in 
danger of dying from childbirth
when they cut them open to save the child.
Saved for what? From what?
Don’t say life. That condition of body
is the default setting for centuries
of fictions that hold power in place.
For labor? For gold from the earth? For whom?

She is not Cleopatra.
The poison injected long ago
remained at her throat.
And now, all these years later,
my mother is dying
and again, I am being born.
Soon there will be a cut,
vertical in the earth,
and again, I will be spared.

Buried alongside her anti-Antony,
it could be any grave in this earth,
but it will be hers;
she who daily died to save me for this life.
This life.
Mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thoughts on Bots, Poetry, and Coming Back Again

I checked my blog's numbers after my last post. My readership seemed to be exploding, but considering the volume was all from Singapore,...