Friday, December 31, 2021

My Mother, The Beggar

i made her dinner
she said it was good
but complained about 
the absence of a glass of milk

then she said,
“But i guess beggars can’t be choosers.”

born on a farm in middle of winter
almost smothered to death by her mother with a couch cushion
but then her dad came in the room
up at five to milk the cows
bullied at school for smelling of manure
given to the first man who asked 
at sixteen
smacked around
five children
poverty

dutiful
did as she was told
she never made a choice

now the children are gone
husbands dead
overwhelmed with decisions

i said,
“Beggars can be choosers,
but if they don’t choose,
they’re beggars by choice.”

we ate then in silence
she watched tv
and changed the channel

2 comments:

Thoughts on Bots, Poetry, and Coming Back Again

I checked my blog's numbers after my last post. My readership seemed to be exploding, but considering the volume was all from Singapore,...