Friday, December 24, 2021

Selfish Hours

seeking quiet, 
time alone, 
pursuing nothing in particular

a thought amounts to nothing unspoken
unheard

these selfish hours took half my life
and I, the vampire 
fed on time,
cannibalizing the strength and awareness of 
my own youth

to what end
same as all 
the rest

sacrificial solutions 
unknown thankless jostling 
to set the future
the comfort of loved ones
protecting the right of others 
to spend selfish hours
in quiet enjoyment

dawdling over coffee
a video on a phone
lost in book

is any time wasted time
when no time 
is owned

in those final hours
before sleep
that no one else can claim,
what solace shelters us
as we step alone
into the night none can share,
but the last warm hand
covering
our hand

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thoughts on Bots, Poetry, and Coming Back Again

I checked my blog's numbers after my last post. My readership seemed to be exploding, but considering the volume was all from Singapore,...