Thursday, February 3, 2022

Another Glass Of Gin

in the house of a friend
unfamiliar faces
in ill-fitting clothes

the fabric of minutes
stretches taffy minded into hours
the empty glass grows warm in hand

others’ conversation blends with music
the high laughter is loose and nice
no one speaks to me
i pretend not to mind

the feeling in my head is good
i slip away to the kitchen
where there is a door to the outside
for another drink

trays barely frozen
easy to break the surface ice 
finger shards from each well
return the shallow water to its freezing

the clear spirit sloshes in
a slurry rises floats
there’s no tonic for this
why bother

there’s dancing now in the living room
i lean in a doorway and drink
the moments crystalize
a wall of thin ice

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thoughts on Bots, Poetry, and Coming Back Again

I checked my blog's numbers after my last post. My readership seemed to be exploding, but considering the volume was all from Singapore,...