Tuesday, February 8, 2022

Untitled 2.8.22

the morning sun was a 
hot hammer on my bowed head
as I swung the pick to
break apart the rocky earth

the toil inspired only sweat
sopping brows that spilled over
into my stinging eyes
over my sunburned nose that 
dripped onto the soil

perspiration sealed my clothes
clinging to my corpus
stifled by the very air
that baked the landscape everywhere

but then a silver cloud shrouded the sun
and i looked up to that turquoise sky
and a cool breeze chilled my sweat
giving good feelings for my mind to wander by

so i laid that pickaxe on the ground
the boss’s calls were muffled by the wind
i walked to the well and drew cold water
to cool my sandpaper tongue 
wash the grit from my teeth

i found a shade tree a way off to sit beneath
and watched the clouds
and listened to the approaching horses’ whinny
before I fell asleep

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thoughts on Bots, Poetry, and Coming Back Again

I checked my blog's numbers after my last post. My readership seemed to be exploding, but considering the volume was all from Singapore,...