Monday, March 7, 2022

Thrice Denied

my mother told me praying 
wouldn’t help
on the twenty-fifth mile of the marathon
she handed me a cup of water
and said i couldn’t make it
before i left for college she said
you used to smile all the time
why are you so unhappy

today she wondered aloud to no one
why my brothers don’t come around
she said her sister and her friends
used to help her but now
they say they can’t make it
when i mentioned she can seem ungrateful
or negative toward her caregivers
she asked when

i told her things she said to me
and she said
i never said no such things

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thoughts on Bots, Poetry, and Coming Back Again

I checked my blog's numbers after my last post. My readership seemed to be exploding, but considering the volume was all from Singapore,...