Wednesday, August 10, 2022

Migrant

when the land is your land 
i am a stranger now forever
but my hands at your work
are familiar enough
 
rise again with ancient dawn 
slowly worms turning 
over in fecundity

key the tractor ignition
looking horizonward into red sun
teeth grinding already grit 
the taste of engine grease
the oily belch the blinding screech 
running forward over the 

chastity of earth bursting forth fresh 
grown corn hears a future sizzle
fried chicken faithful friends 
continual cries of all the hens 
and the solitary rooster fed

crows remain unafraid
strawman upstanding in the golden grain 
honey running in the apiary  

at dusk farm fields smelling of shit
dinner tables steam in tired silence
all you have but do not possess

and i wash dirt from my hands 
outside at the spigot boots in mud 
wind in sweat black hair
my shaky legs and barking soles
now walking down that way
down that way

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thoughts on Bots, Poetry, and Coming Back Again

I checked my blog's numbers after my last post. My readership seemed to be exploding, but considering the volume was all from Singapore,...