Monday, August 7, 2023

Vacation Day 3: Politics and Painting

We brought my mom brunch today and then left in the afternoon shortly after the conversation turned to politics. It's bad when we've become so divided as a country that, regardless of who you support politically, it's hard to admit that anyone who breaks the law should be held accountable.

I wanted to do some plein air painting today, but the constant threat of rain prevented me from setting up outside. Instead, I took a few photographs before we left my mom's house this afternoon and painted from one of those in our hotel room. Here's my first attempt with oil paints:


It took about an hour to do this 5"x7" sketch of my wife's car from the backyard of a corner of my mom's house. It always feels good to paint, and I know it's going to take some time to get used to oils, but ... I don't know. I'd hoped painting with oils would feel like I'd finally found my medium. Instead, it's like everything else. It's awesome that the paint doesn't dry out on the pallet like acrylics and it sucks that it takes so damned long to dry on the canvas, unlike acrylics.

We returned to my mother's house with dinner and had a more pleasant visit before heading back to the hotel for bedtime.

Be good to each other.
~MS


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thoughts on Bots, Poetry, and Coming Back Again

I checked my blog's numbers after my last post. My readership seemed to be exploding, but considering the volume was all from Singapore,...