Tuesday, September 14, 2021

One From Google

I got it into my head 
to search,
“Who built the great pyramid at Giza?” 
The result was 
Khufu,
(Snefru’s son, also known as Cheops in Greek),
Pharaoh.

But how could one man
even in an entire lifetime have quarried and 
dragged those enormous blocks of stone
and placed them so expertly atop 
each other?

You may as well say the 
plantation owner 
harvested his cotton

or that Union Pacific,
in a Pinocchio-like miracle,
became a person after
the Civil War, 
like Paul Bunyan chopped
down all the timber required,
rolled its own steel,
and laid its own 
railroads.

Why is it
that one name, 
one face always 
consumes the many?

The wealthy have always been hungry
for the toil of the masses,
devour it,
and say “Look what I did!
What a good boy am
I!"

so that
four and a half thousand
years later
even Google gets it wrong.

1 comment:

  1. His Story, the singular. It just easier to hold on to the one person who screamed the loudest. After all we test for memorization not thinking mostly in our country. We often get small misconceptions that can spiral into a Flat Earth or some other crazy theory.

    ReplyDelete

Thoughts on Bots, Poetry, and Coming Back Again

I checked my blog's numbers after my last post. My readership seemed to be exploding, but considering the volume was all from Singapore,...