Monday, September 13, 2021

Unrealistic

Maybe it’s unrealistic
to expect to work and be a 
good father and
a poet
to toil with words 

after bedtime and in-between the 
child’s feverish cries against
an impending day in daycare 

It starts to feel pointless 
to write a verse
when there are so many real things
to attend to
as though words aren’t real

inherently meaningless arbitrary 
sounds and symbols
to indicate a thing 
that exists outside
the poem
rather than plugged into it

like those spotted bananas
whose smell has overtaken
the kitchen and 
drawn fruit flies
onto a nearby sketchpad
(the bananas are good drawers)

or the washing machine playing
that little song when it’s
finished a load of drawers

or the sound of my wife
taking the load from the dryer
and putting the warm jasmine scented clothes 
into drawers

It’s no use to play with words
when the blustering wind outside
this poem
could blow the powerlines down
and the sheets of heavy rain
in the washing machine
could overflow the gutters

I guess i just can’t
help myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thoughts on Bots, Poetry, and Coming Back Again

I checked my blog's numbers after my last post. My readership seemed to be exploding, but considering the volume was all from Singapore,...