Thursday, October 7, 2021

How To Fall Asleep












When my toddler calls me after bedtime
because he is nervous for tomorrow,
or excited about games or playtime,
and his burgeoning mind won’t allow sleep,

I tell him to close his eyes and breath deep,
and to think of what makes him happiest
because happy thoughts will give him good dreams.
This seems to work, and he drifts off smiling.

I’m usually awake until two
reading, writing, or seeking distractions
until I can no longer stay conscious.
This is the only way I fall asleep.

The alternative is to lie awake
because I am nervous for tomorrow
and excitement is rare as dopamine
to a reluctant, stress-addled, adult mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thoughts on Bots, Poetry, and Coming Back Again

I checked my blog's numbers after my last post. My readership seemed to be exploding, but considering the volume was all from Singapore,...