Friday, October 22, 2021

Mundane


Like every other day,
I hear the grating grind and whir 
of lawn mowers, leaf blowers, 
a squeal of brakes at the stop sign, 
music blaring from car windows,
echoed incomprehensible human voices
from cell phone conversations.

These ordinary things 
should ground me, 
but I guiltily recoil. 

Give me the white noise 
of a breeze blown forest,
the small mammal’s squeal 
protecting a nest.
Grant me the music 
of bird song and the cicada, 
the whir of wings,
the grind of the woodpecker’s work,
hunting bark-burrowing bugs.

Set me on that leaf-strewn, 
mundane ground,
and release me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thoughts on Bots, Poetry, and Coming Back Again

I checked my blog's numbers after my last post. My readership seemed to be exploding, but considering the volume was all from Singapore,...