Monday, October 18, 2021

Phantom

Awakened in the night by a creaking
as of a door, though my own remained shut.
I swung my feet to the floor and listened.
A sudden sinking feeling in my gut,
trepidation for approaching the hall.
Something shifted, skittered past the window.
A shadow seemed to lean down from the wall.
I stood obstinately, arms akimbo,
willing my eyes to adjust to the dark.
Something stepped from the corner grey and white.
Through the shadow a pale face floated closer,
Its open mouth a black deeper than night.
I woke up in the morning on my floor
and blamed the bathrobe hanging on the door.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thoughts on Bots, Poetry, and Coming Back Again

I checked my blog's numbers after my last post. My readership seemed to be exploding, but considering the volume was all from Singapore,...