Saturday, October 9, 2021

The Day You Died













Something broke in me 
the day you died
and I thought
it was the relief of the shackle
you placed in me long ago
so rusted
finally uncoupling,
but it was only me.

It was the part that retained
the smell of your skin,
like pear and cucumber,
the night of our first date.

It was the part
that saw you sleeping,
black hair splayed on the pillow,
one breast bare, free of my sheet,
and the bursting of my heart
when you smiled as you woke
shameless and stretched.

And the part of my regret
at your inflexible betrayals,
because at the end 
there was no love,
no longing left alive,
to induce my sympathy,

only, i understood you were in pain,
and wished, somehow,
not for my sake,
there had been another way
to ease it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thoughts on Bots, Poetry, and Coming Back Again

I checked my blog's numbers after my last post. My readership seemed to be exploding, but considering the volume was all from Singapore,...