Sunday, October 10, 2021

Mom, Now

 


My mother, alone,
enduring my stepfather’s 
slow decline in 
a convalescent home,
for the first time,
speaks to me about 
her depression.

She sneaks it,
still ashamed,
couched in a list of other anxieties
and ailments – 
of which she now has many –
sometimes in a tone so matter-of-fact,
she waves it away;

sometimes 
through tears of resignation:
crying whither comes no sob or hitch,
just a huskiness of voice,
an occasional sniff
while the tears wend 
through deep wrinkles,
age-narrowed shoulders slumping.

She is so old now,
but her emotional strength
which sometimes in my youth appeared 
as callousness, even cruelty,
has new cracks.

The dam is brittle,
but it’s impossible to know if behind it
lies a vast, full, reservoir
of old pain,
or a desert plain 
with a last small stream
that now and then swells,
overflowing shallow banks.

Then,
with one wide, spotted hand 
she raises her heavy glasses.
With the other 
she wipes the tears away,
lets out a shuddering breath,
and tells me,

Don’t worry so much.
You always were a worrier.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thoughts on Bots, Poetry, and Coming Back Again

I checked my blog's numbers after my last post. My readership seemed to be exploding, but considering the volume was all from Singapore,...