Friday, November 5, 2021

Friend














A winter rain was rolling down my face
as we were walking homeward from the bar.
My drunkenness had left me short of grace
and stumbling I would not have made it far,

but for my friend on whom I could rely
to catch me if I slipped or tripped and fell.
For him, if needed, I would surely die,
and fight beside him to the throne of hell.

There never was a truer friend to me
than this who leads me now to hearth and home,
though senselessly I blather drunk decrees,
and nearly falling face down in the loam.

Eventually the threshold waits for we
comrades in kind and brothers endlessly.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thoughts on Bots, Poetry, and Coming Back Again

I checked my blog's numbers after my last post. My readership seemed to be exploding, but considering the volume was all from Singapore,...