Monday, January 31, 2022

Opening

gathered around the table
at the end of dinner that night
we told jokes and laughed
and i became giddy 
even light-headed
and said “what’s wrong with me?
everything is suddenly so absurd
i feel like i’m high.”
my wife, still giggling, said sarcastically 
“right. there must be something wrong 
if you’re happy.”

vertigo struck then 
when i saw the time stretched out behind me
that it had been wrong
it was impossible to feel happy when
I was waiting for the next threat

but there was a ceiling and a sky 
well above my brow
and the floor beneath my feet
was a surface to traverse
the place at the door was a threshold
not a limit

it’s hard after so long to locate
when i’d contorted and squeezed myself
between these slabs of obligation and despair
when i’d become suspicious of joy
or the junction at which i’d ceased to believe
it was there at all

and then i was back in my anxious skin
listening again to the 
beautiful peals of my children’s laughter
and couldn’t help but smile

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thoughts on Bots, Poetry, and Coming Back Again

I checked my blog's numbers after my last post. My readership seemed to be exploding, but considering the volume was all from Singapore,...