Saturday, January 29, 2022

The Acre

sometimes a cutting from some 
monocot stolon node in fertile soil
is enough to start roots
and a whole new plant
the beginning of a nursery

Whitman’s Leaves did that in my brain
and the roots dug deep into my soul
withered but still fertile
until my hair grew green
Emerson’s over-soul 
become dense like sod

constantly fertilized ever since
with Pound and Eliot and Baraka
Clifton Rumi Oliver Mullen and more
and later spoken word 

to this day
i stretch out like an acre
fields rich and overgrown
singing with life 
and the winds’ waves across
high stalks 
of lush green grass

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thoughts on Bots, Poetry, and Coming Back Again

I checked my blog's numbers after my last post. My readership seemed to be exploding, but considering the volume was all from Singapore,...