Sunday, May 22, 2022

Offering

they tell me i was born from the ashes in the valley of Hinnom
from the flames in the stomach of the idol of Moloch
there they found me screaming at the sky
sinewy umbilical still waving in the wind

i have dreams of things i should not know
orange flames and oily smoke screams of children 
and the smell of cooking meat

frightened they have tried to burn me with their furious focus
but by birthright i am immune to fire

last night another cow was born with extra limbs
flowers grow here with heads conjoined
so they are bearing me back to the alter of my birth

before the dagger wielding priest
a woman from the edge of the village comes to me weeping
she kisses my forehead and smooths my hair

they ask for last words so i say
i only hope this helps

2 comments:

Thoughts on Bots, Poetry, and Coming Back Again

I checked my blog's numbers after my last post. My readership seemed to be exploding, but considering the volume was all from Singapore,...