Saturday, July 30, 2022

Eurydice

the morning never came when the sun beams 
shown behind her hair revealing her 
as some saving angel

no there was too much damage from the many falls 
from agrarian climbs to monarchy’s apple fists 
to a myth of freedom so pervasive 
it would make an idealist’s wildest 
dreams come true

keep hoping keep reaching you’ll break through 
like a shot 
maybe even before the shot 
breaks you

i worry sometimes at that last conversation
i worry that my words made the choices seem too narrow
the outcomes of responsibility too real
i worry but 
laying that power at the foot of my words
is more than i can claim credit for

i worry but there’s no solution now
i don’t sing like that anymore 
and i never played the lyre anyhow

and i feel guilty only because
even if i unwittingly crossed the threshold
if i could return strumming on the strings of theory
i’d spend the whole trip looking backwards
to make sure you didn’t 
follow me home

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thoughts on Bots, Poetry, and Coming Back Again

I checked my blog's numbers after my last post. My readership seemed to be exploding, but considering the volume was all from Singapore,...