Sunday, July 31, 2022

Keeping Time

measured moments by 
rain and the width of ripples in the stream
by the sound of porch chimes
in the pre-storm wind

by the length of a kiss
or the length of a track on a playlist

by the strength of my back
when shoveling snow

i am now the age of my professor friend
when he taught me Heraclitus and Parmenides
i am contemplating running again
he has acquired the third leg 
of the sphinx’s riddle

it’s easy to measure sand or
to segment into equal pieces
the clock face to the world’s turning by degrees

but control 
no
you may as well wrap your arms around trees
and wait for them to embrace you

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thoughts on Bots, Poetry, and Coming Back Again

I checked my blog's numbers after my last post. My readership seemed to be exploding, but considering the volume was all from Singapore,...