Saturday, October 7, 2023

On Not Posting For Inktober and “Social” Media

So the last two nights I have drawn something for Inktober based on the prompts, but opted not to post the drawings to social media. I want to make sure I draw something every day, but I am not pressuring myself to post if I don’t think what I produce measures up.

For the prompt “Map”, my initial idea was to create one floor of a D&D dungeon and then include some lore about it so people could use it as a one-shot, or a filler area in a campaign. But then I decided to get fancy. I wanted to draw a scene from the movie Goonies where the four boys are together looking at the map. I tried to do a quick and precise drawing, but by the end it was just a mess. Good practice, but not worthy of posting.

For “Golden” I did a quick doodle of a frog coming through the surface of some water holding up a golden ball like in the children’s story about the princess and the frog. But it was more like a practice drawing I would do before spending hours on a finished piece, and I just don’t have that kind of time.

Today’s prompt is “Drip”, and again, tonight before bed, I’ll sit down with my sketchbook and do some drawings in my sketchbook of a faucet with a drop of water falling from it, but more as an exercise in making the background fall away while making the faucet and the water in the foreground look very in focus.

Lately, with the idiotic shenanigans happening with Twitter, the many Twitter-like services that have spawned, the garbage fire of Facebook, and the almost total lack of engagement on Instagram, I’m coming back around to feeling like social media is an illusion of connectivity I can do without most of the time. I’ll post when I post and that’s it. I don’t think I need to try any harder than that.

I hope you’re all having a restful weekend with friends and family, or by yourself if you need the solitude to recharge.

Be good to each other.
~Bacchus

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thoughts on Bots, Poetry, and Coming Back Again

I checked my blog's numbers after my last post. My readership seemed to be exploding, but considering the volume was all from Singapore,...